The European Regulators Group for Audiovisual Media Services held its eighth meeting on 9 November 2017, in Brussels.
During the meeting in Brussels on 9 November ERGA elected Damir Hajduk, President of the Croatian Council for Electronic Media (AEM), as its Chair for 2018. Ľuboš Kukliš of the Council for Broadcasting and Retransmission of the Slovak Republic will remain Vice-Chair in 2018. Tobias Schmid of the German State Media Authorities was newly elected as Vice-Chair for 2018.
After being in the board of ERGA for almost four years and chairing ERGA for two years, Prof. Dr Madeleine de Cock Buning, president of the Dutch Media Authority, will step down in 2018.
ERGA also adopted the Work Programme for 2018 as well as changes to its Rules of Procedure. The Work Programme 2018 envisages the setting up of four ERGA subgroups. Their work will largely depend on the outcome of the revised AVMS Directive negotiations and will focus on the following areas:
1. Internal and External Plurality
2. Exchange of Experiences and Best Practices
3. The extension of the material scope of the AVMSD. This subgroup will have three taskforces:
– Taskforce 1 on the (co-)regulation of audiovisual media services online and video sharing platforms
– Taskforce 2 on the promotion of European works
– Taskforce 3 on territorial jurisdiction / ERGA’s role
4. Self- and Co-Regulation
Exact details will be defined in the Terms of Reference for each subgroup, to be adopted early 2018.